Halloween, when I was young, meant sacks filled with candy and maybe a few apples (never my favorite) and a few pennies. We ran from house to house getting as much candy as possible. Some kids used paper grocery bags that often ended up with a hole in the bottom while others used pillow cases.
My siblings and I never had a store bought costume. I was often a nurse, because my mom was really a nurse. So I donned her nurse cap. Back in the day we saw many a ghost (sheet over head) or a "bum" with nap sack and raincoats as a costume, oh football players gallore! Of course living in Michigan, Halloween was often cool, sometimes even cold so coats had to figure into the get-ups.
Kids never rang the bell but instead yelled at the top of their lungs "trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat". Yep that was crazy but common.
For a while I thought Halloween might die out, as there was a time when evil people decided it would be fun to put razor blades in apples or pins in candies. People started to keep kids from going door to door for treats and instead held private parties or went to the local community event. Scanning of candies was common for a number of years and no one would dare eat any candy until it was scanned and deemed safe.
Today we have a more vibrant Halloween than ever. People decorate outside, carve pumpkins, sit out on the porch and pass out candies to kids donned in wonderfully fun, scary or fancy costumes.
I am glad Halloween fun is alive and well.
Happy Halloween All!

No comments:
Post a Comment