While on vacation in 2009, my husband and I were on a ferry to a most wonderful island. It is called Mackinac Island, in the northern Michigan area.
We spent a few days here on our honeymoon way back in the day (1977).
Mackinac Island a very romantic place.
In fact, part of the movie "Somewhere in Time" was filmed on Mackinac Island in 1980.
Let me post pictures from our trip before I get to
my short and sweet love story.
I love this place!
Island Transportation is by foot, horse or bike, no automobiles or trucks are allowed on the island, not even for servicing hotels or restaurants.
People ride bikes everywhere.
Taxi is a horse drawn carraige.
The Grand Hotel is on this Island, although I have not included any pictures from the Grand Hotel.
The best place to stay in my opinion is
the Iroquois on the Beach
There are many cute and quaint shops on main street and flower boxes gallore!
The hotels on the island are most charming,
most with screened in porches allowing the breeze of the lake!
I just love all of the flowers and flags everywhere.

Note the ferry boat in the picture above - these boats leave from the mainland and transport people and products to the island. Summer is a very busy season on the island with tourists by the thousands. While I have never been to the island in Autumn, I am sure it is equally beautiful. Fall color in Michigan is gorgeous.
If you want to plan a most romantic vacation, you should plan to head to Mackinac Island.
Fudge on Mackinaw Island is a big deal - it is everywhere.
This picture is taken through the window, thus the glare.
NOW TO MY SHORT BUT SWEET STORY!
My husband and I boarded a ferry to Mackinac Island for a special anniversary trip. We grabbed a beverage and sat down. Were we the usual bubbly upbeat vacationers, camera in hand, excited for our time together without work, stress and the usual day to day stuff.
Everyone was boarded and we were on the way to the island.
Across from us sat an elderly couple. They had to be in their mid 80s.
They sat there quiet, never speaking a word to each other the entire trip.
I realized that couple had been together for years.
They had no new stories to tell.
Their vacation was to a most romantic island.
Was it a return trip or their first time to the island?
I did not know and I never will.
But one thing I did know, they were surely in love. It was easy to see.
They sat close together, shoulder to shoulder, and hand in hand.
Although their faces were wrinkled and bodies worn and likely stiff,
Although their faces were wrinkled and bodies worn and likely stiff,
clearly their love was strong and alive.
They did not need to speak, the stories all told.
At first I thought it was sad,
then I realized it was peace and contentment
and true love.
I sometimes wonder if that was a foreshadow
of a trip that my husband and I just may make one last time...
when we are in our 80s!
**********************************************************************
True Love
too rare these days!
I am blessed.
I love you James --- Always!
The end.

















So sweet!
ReplyDelete