Sunday, September 9, 2012

Look Back

There is always someone who has less than you, who'd love to be where you are in life.  It is a good idea to look backward sometimes at those behind you in life's place.

 Each Monday on my way to work I pass a place that provides government aid/assistance to the needy.  At 6:30 in the morning three are at least 10 people asleep on the sidewalk, lined up outside the building waiting for the the building to open. There are another 50 or more lined up amidst those asleep.

This is Houston, it is steamy here all summer long, nights rarely cool off to anything below 75 degrees and bugs are plentiful.  I feel for these people. They'd look forward hoping for better.  They'd consider themselves rich and blessed if they had a bed, a0 place to sleep that is out of the heat, the rain, the cold (yes we do get a few cold days in January and February).

It is in these moments of passing that I realize most vividly how truly blessed I am and I should want for nothing more as I have what so many do not and wish they did.

I must remind myself to take a look backward sometimes, rather than forward.  No matter who you are or where you are at in life, it is good to realize there is someone who'd love to be in your place as they are worse off.

Giving to charities is good,  but I never see the impact of the donations.  I often think I should get involved in a soup kitchen, with the Red Cross, or any charitable organization, and one of these days I will.





No comments:

Post a Comment